From TinyMCE 5.3, Java 8 will be the minimum supported version for our backend Java-based services.
Continued reliance on Java 7 is discouraged by the major providers – OpenJDK, IBM, Oracle. Staying up to date with the latest technologies allows us to take advantage of the latest features but also reduce any unnecessary security risks from a failure to do so.
Who will be affected by this change?
Customers who are self-hosting our server-side components for one or more of the following plugins:
- SpellChecker Pro
- Image Tools
- Enhanced Media Embed
- Link Checker
What do I need to know?
From the TinyMCE 5.3 release, the following .war files provided in the self-hosted bundles will not be compatible with Java 7:
- SpellChecker Pro (ephox-spelling.war has been updated to version 2.3.0)
- Image Tools (ephox-image-proxy.war has been updated to version 2.3.0)
- Enhanced Media Embed (ephox-hyperlinking.war has been updated to version 2.3.0)
- Link Checker (ephox-hyperlinking.war has been updated to version 2.3.0)
What do I need to do?
TinyMCE 5.2 and earlier versions require no changes.
When you’re ready to upgrade to TinyMCE 5.3, here are some things you need to know:
- If you are already running Java 8+, then you don't need to do anything.
- If you are running an earlier version, upgrade your application server so that it is running Java 8 or later.
Refer to the documentation for information on deploying the server-side components.
For more information about this change and the affected components, see the relevant sections in in the TinyMCE 5.3 release notes: